for Members, Parents and Visitors
The Golden Lion Academy (“GLA”) has the following as its key objectives to:
1. Provide instruction in a safe environment in the Chinese martial arts of kung fu, tai chi, dim mak
and other related programmes.
2. Develop mental and physical tools for improving personal safety and security.
3. Promote health and vitality.
4. Develop positive self-esteem and self-confidence.
5. Develop students to be positive role models in the community.
6. Promote pro-active crime prevention through increased awareness and positive attitudes.
7. Create expertise in safe confrontation management.
8. Develop healthy community attitudes and values.
All students, parents and visitors who are present in a class or course conducted by the GLA must agree to be bound by this Code of Conduct. GLA reserves the right to make amendments or additions to this
Code of Conduct at any time.
2. PARTICIPANT UNDERSTANDING
1. Membership of GLA requires a person to agree to be bound by this Code of Conduct.
2. The practice of Chinese martial arts is a contact sport, meaning it involves physical contact with
one or more practitioners in ways designed to simulate the self-defence options available to a practitioner when confronted with physical aggression and/or threatening behaviour.
3. As in any other physically demanding recreational activity, there is always a risk of injury. Any person participating in a class conducted by GLA does so with the full understanding that whilst it
is the highest priority of GLA to minimise this risk, the nature of contact during physical activity prevents its total elimination. Persons participating in a class conducted by GLA do so of their
own volition and at their own risk.
4. Everyone is expected to abide by this Code of Conduct during their visit to the Golden Lion Academy. GLA expects everyone to behave in a respectful, responsible, ethical and professional
manner so that the academy can provide a safe environment with positive support. Parents, please note that it is your responsibility as legal guardian to fully explain these rules to your child.
5. Breach of conduct will result in either a reprimand or immediate termination of membership. If an investigation is required, suspension of membership will commence immediately until the matter
3. THE ACADEMY – “A SPECIAL PLACE”
“The Golden Lion Academy is a place where you go to practice the best you can be;
where the true combat is not between people,
but between the people within ourselves.
So we ask you to respect and honour it,
Respect and honour the people in it,
Respect and honour the teachers who make it all possible for you.”
1. Parents, visitors and family members shall not enter the training floor space or interact with other members who are training on the floor.
2. Respect the rights, dignity and worth of all participants regardless of their gender, ability, cultural background, race or religion. Do not racially abuse another person.
3. Do not teach the art you learn at Golden Lion without the consent of the Master.
4. Do not train with another martial arts club while you are a member of Golden Lion (for example, footy players do not play for two teams).
5. Do not argue with an instructor. If you disagree, approach the Master or Sifu in private after the class and discuss the issue with him/her.
6. Control your emotions. Provoking or verbally abusing others is not acceptable, nor are they permitted behaviours.
7. Sexual harassment, where a person is subjected to unwanted or uninvited sexual behaviour, is not tolerated.
8. Be polite to others. Treat everyone the way you want to be treated.
9. Refrain from criticism of other martial arts as well as their instructors, school or students.
10. Adopt a serious attitude towards the art. Do not abuse or misuse the art.
11. Do not commit acts detrimental to the reputation of the Academy or its Masters.
12. Show respect to the academy, its instructors, members and administrators.
13. Be loyal to your club and to your Instructor.
1. We recommend that you attend a minimum of 2 classes per week for best results.
2. Be punctual to class, preferably early, so that you are ready to train when class commences. If arriving late, you must wait at the side of the Training Area until the Instructor indicates that you may join the class.
3. Maintain a high level of personal hygiene and exhibit clean grooming when attending classes.
Fingernails must be trimmed and clean. In particular, body odour, shoe odour and odours from hand mitts must be kept to a minimum.
4. Remove all jewellery (and watch) when training.
5. Do not smoke, drink alcohol or eat a heavy meal prior to your class.
6. Do not bully or take unfair advantage of other people.
7. Students must always be courteous and helpful to each other.
8. Physical contact between students who are training must be appropriate to the situation and necessary for the skill development of those students.
6. WHAT TO DO IN CLASS
1. If you are new to class, line up at the back of the class.
2. Bow when entering or leaving the academy.
3. Bow to your instructor before and after the class.
4. Bow to classmates before and after partner work.
5. If you have to leave the class for any reason, inform the instructor first (by raising your arm) and then bow to the instructor before leaving.
6. When returning to the class, wait for the instructor to bring you back into the group and bow to the instructor before you resume your place.
7. Address the instructors by their titles (such as Dai Sifu, Si Gung, Sifu, Si Hing or Si Jie) at all times. These titles have been earned by and awarded to individuals by their superiors after having
reached a very high level of competency, proficiency and expertise in their art. So we ask you to respect them as they respect you.
7. DRESS CODE
1. You are expected to wear clean and appropriate Golden Lion uniforms for your activity. The uniforms can be purchased at anytime from reception.
2. Correct footwear is essential (aerobic style non-marking flat soled trainers).
3. Students must bring a towel and a filled water bottle to each training session.
4. Neither bare feet nor bare chest are permitted.
5. Persons inappropriately attired will not be allowed to train.
8. SAFETY & PERSONAL EQUIPMENT
1. You agree to maintain self-control at all times and maintain all care in the application of any technique. You are responsible for your own welfare and the welfare of others you train with. If you or your partner is injured during class, report the incident to your instructor and immediately complete a written incident report which is available at reception.
2. Protective gear should be worn during free sparring (groin and mouth guards, mitts, arm and leg guards and other gear you feel you need to wear for your safety).
3. Protective gear is optional during the practice of techniques or during partner training; however you can elect to wear any protective gear anytime you feel you need it.
4. Hand mitts should be worn during punching bag training.
5. Do not share your protective gear with others (in order to prevent cross infection).
6. If you have a cut or bleeding injury, you must stop training immediately and receive appropriate first aid. Do not rejoin the training session until the instructor has deemed that is safe to do so.
7. Wear “Disposable Protective Gloves” (available at reception) if you need to assist a student suffering a cut or bleeding injury. Disposable Protective Gloves should also be worn if at risk of infection from a spillage of clear bodily fluid and/or solid matter from another person.
8. Any student who exhibits behaviour that, in the judgement of the Instructor, is a danger to other participants, shall not be allowed to continue training until the Instructor determines the danger is
no longer present.
9. When transporting to class training equipment, such as kung fu or tai chi swords, 3 sectional cudgels or any weapon with a blade, the weapons must be kept in a weapon bag and locked in the boot of your car together with your current renewal letter that has been signed by your instructor.
9. SICKNESS or INJURY & OTHER HEALTH ISSUES
1. Students must not train if they are suffering from the flu or other viral infections.
2. Students must not attend training under the influence of alcohol or illegal drugs.
3. Smoking is not allowed anywhere in the Academy.
4. Students must advise the Instructor if suffering from any injury or medical condition, either permanent or temporary, which may adversely be affected by some types of training. For example,
blood pressure problems, cardiac disorders, neck and back injuries, diabetes, asthma and others.
5. If you have been injured or ill, you will need to provide the GLA with a medical certificate from your Doctor or Registered Health Professional stating that you are fit to resume training before you re-commence classes.
6. Students with a cut or bleeding injury must stop training immediately and receive appropriate first aid. Rejoining the training session will not be allowed until the instructor has deemed that it is safe to do so. Helpers must wear Disposable Protective Gloves (available at reception).
• The GLA maintains the right to accept or refuse membership to any person at anytime.
• Membership is for your personal use only; it is not transferable to any other person.
• Membership rights are withdrawn for misbehaviour or for breaching this Code of Conduct.
• Members should not inconvenience or create dangerous situations for other members.
• Please report any matter that requires attention to your instructor immediately.
10.1 PAYMENT OF FEES
Fees for all courses are paid in advance in order to secure a place in the class. Please pay before or on the due date as a place in your class cannot be guaranteed for late payment. Fees are not refundable, nor transferable, for any reason including failure or inability to use the facilities. Please let us know if you have any problems in meeting your renewal payment date.
10.2 JOINING FEE
This stays current as long as you are training with Golden Lion. If you have been away from training at Golden Lion for more than one year, you will need to re-pay your joining fee.
10.3 TRIAL CLASS
You are encouraged to bring along your friends and relatives who have a genuine interest in joining. Just let us know and we’ll welcome them to class. Please help them by sharing your fitness with them. The fee
for just one lesson is charged for a trial class.
Any member who neglectfully or wilfully causes damage shall pay for damage to the Academy’s property. Members are also responsible for damage incurred by dependent visitors, including children.
10.5 CHANGE ROOMS
Do not leave valuables in the changing rooms. Please use the change room or toilet to change your clothes before and after the class. Please ensure that you leave the changing rooms and toilets clean and tidy for
others to use.
10.6 TIME OFF TRAINING
If you need to suspend your membership for holiday, injury or illness, you must do so in writing in advance. You can email email@example.com or complete a small form (held at reception) to give to your instructor who needs to be advised so that we can look after you on your return. The minimum suspension period is 2 weeks. The remainder of your membership is kept for three months only. Your membership elapses after that time.
10.7 PREVIOUSLY GRADED MEMBERS RETURNING TO TRAINING
If you have been absent from training for 12 months or more, your appropriate level of grading will need to be re-established. After six months of training, an informal assessment will take place with your Sifu to
establish an appropriate belt level. Until this takes place, kung fu students will wear a plain red belt and graded tai chi students will wear a plain blue belt.
10.8 TRAINING WITH ANOTHER SCHOOL OR TEACHER
Teaching or training in another martial arts style with another school is not permitted while you are a member training at the Golden Lion. If you would like to train more often, you can attend a number of other classes at any of our three centres. Speak to your Master Instructor or Sifu first.
The style practiced and taught at the Golden Lion is unique and different to other styles of martial arts taught by other schools or teachers. Training in two separate methods or systems poses a safety risk that is detrimental to your welfare; therefore the GLA will immediately terminate a membership if this occurs. Just like other sports, a person does not play for two sports teams at the same time.
11. PARENTS / GUARDIAN CODE OF BEHAVIOUR
As a parent/guardian of a participant in any activity held by or under the auspices of Golden Lion Academy, you must meet the following requirements in regard to your conduct during any such activity or event.
Breaching this Code of Conduct will result in termination of membership.
1. Remember that children participate in sport for their enjoyment and development, not yours.
2. Do not yell at or ridicule your child, or anyone else, for making a mistake during class.
3. Do not physically or verbally abuse or harass anyone associated with the activity (students, teachers, officials and others).
4. Respect the rights, dignity and worth of others regardless of their gender, ability, cultural background or religion.
5. Respect and accept the instructors’ decisions and teach children to do likewise. Do not argue with the instructor. If you disagree with anything, speak to the main Master in private after the class.
6. Avoid giving negative criticisms. Constructive feedback with a positive approach is welcome.
7. Do not enter the training floor space or interact with other members who are training on the floor.
8. Show appreciation for good performances and positively support the efforts of all participants.
9. Keep sibling(s) quiet and do not let them run around in the training area.
10. Refrain from talking loudly with others while the class is in progress.
11. Do not eat or drink in the training area or on the training floor.
12. Be a positive role model. Children learn best by example.
While training at the academy, you will notice quite an improvement in your overall health and fitness. Please write down your experiences and send or email your note to us. We’d like to know how you are benefitting.
We welcome your feedback and ideas. Class programmes are planned in advance and feedback from you helps us plan ahead. What’s more, it’ll give us more energy and pride in our work…. to teach you better.
So if you wish to write down your thoughts, please email it to us or give it to your instructor.
13. INTERPRETATION & AMENDMENT OF RULES
The decision of management is final. The rules may be changed or amended by management at its sole discretion at any time. Your full cooperation is much appreciated.